The last edition of The Numbers Racket for the month of March delves into the gender pay gap, or the measure of what women are paid relative to their male counterparts in the United States.
Using data from the U.S. Census Bureau, let’s take a closer look at the gender pay gap across the country and by state.
While the numbers differ greatly by state, in 2019 – the most recent year for which data were available – the national earnings wage gap by sex in the United States was $10,150, according to Census Bureau data shared earlier this month.
In 2019, the median earnings for men who worked full-time, year-round over the last 12 months was $53,544. By comparison, women who worked full-time, year round for the last 12 months over the same time period made $43,394.
The states with the highest gender pay gap are:
- Wyoming, Gap: $21,676 (Male earnings $59,196; Female earnings $37,520)
- Utah, Gap: $17,303 (Male earnings $57,247; Female earnings $39,944)
- District of Columbia, Gap: $16,032 (Male earnings $88,992; Female earnings $72,960)
- Louisiana, Gap: $14,926 (Male earnings $51,976; Female earnings $37,050)
- Washington, Gap: $14,609 (Male earnings $65,427; Female earnings $50,818)
The states with the lowest gender pay gap are:
- Puerto Rico, Gap: Not statistically different (Male earnings $22,804; Female earnings $23,478)
- Vermont, Gap: $4,600 (Male earnings $51,241; Female earnings $46,641)
- Nevada, Gap: $6,013 (Male earnings $46,841; Female earnings $40,828)
- California, Gap: $7,162 (Male earnings $57,475; Female earnings $50,313)
- Florida, Gap: $7,705 (Male earnings $45,187; Female earnings $37,482)
Falling somewhere in between, Pennsylvania’s gap is $11,396. In the Keystone state, male earnings total $55,367 while female earnings are $43,971.
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.