|Whether it’s in the woods or your backyard, before you set out for your weekend adventure, here are a few reminders about Lyme disease and other tick-borne illnesses.
Pennsylvania consistently ranks among the highest in the nation for cases of tick-borne diseases, according to U.S. News & World Report.
Symptoms of Lyme disease include, but are not limited to:
- Swollen lymph nodes
- A rash, sometimes bullseye-shaped, however not everyone will experience a rash
- Joint pain and stiffness
To reduce your chances of a tick bite, follow these tips from the Department of Health:
- Walk in the center of trails and avoid areas with high grass and leaf litter;
- Use a repellent that contains at least 20% DEET;
- Wear light-colored clothing;
- Conduct full-body tick checks on yourself and on your pets after spending time outdoors; and
- Take a bath or shower within 2 hours after coming indoors.
Enjoy the great outdoors this weekend, but remember to be safe, protect yourself from ticks and continue following social distancing measures.
As always, the top five stories from this week’s news are below to help you stay current.
All the best,
Cassie Miller | Associate Editor