Russia’s President Vladimir Putin, right, signed decrees recognizing the independence of the Donetsk and Lugansk People’s Republics on February 21, 2022 (Photo by Alexei Nikolsky/Russian Presidential Press and Information Office/TASS via Getty Images/The Conversation).
WASHINGTON — Hundreds of members of Congress are permanently banned from visiting Russia, in retaliation for passing economic sanctions on the country after it invaded Ukraine in late February.
The list includes nearly 1,000 Americans, including President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris, along with celebrities such as actor Morgan Freeman, executives such as Microsoft President Brad Smith and government leaders such as Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg.
“We emphasize that the hostile actions taken by Washington, which boomerang against the United States itself, will continue to receive a proper rebuff,” the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement. “Russian counter-sanctions are forced and aimed at forcing the ruling American regime, which is trying to impose a neo-colonial ‘rules-based world order’ on the rest of the world, to change its behavior, recognizing new geopolitical realities.”
Congress cleared $40 billion in aid to Ukraine earlier this month, the second multi-billion-dollar package since the beginning of the war in late February.
Of the 963 people banned, more than 230 are Republican and Democratic members of Congress. Top congressional leaders also made the list, such as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York and House Majority Whip Steny Hoyer of Maryland.
The Pennsylvania lawmakers on the Kremlin’s Нет, спасибо list are:
- U.S. Sen. Bob Casey, D-Pa.
- U.S. Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick, R-1st District
- U.S. Rep. Brendan Boyle, D-2nd District
- U.S. Rep. Dwight Evans, D-3rd District
- U.S. Rep. Madeleine Dean, D-4th District
- U.S. Rep. Mary Gay Scanlon. D-75h District
- U.S. Rep. Chrissy Houlahan, D-6th District
- U.S. Rep. Susan Wild, D-7th District
- U.S. Rep. Matt Cartwright, D-8th District
- U.S. Rep. Dan Meuser, R-10th District
- U.S. Rep. Scott Perry, R-10th District
- U.S. Rep. Lloyd Smucker, R-11th District
- U.S. Rep. Fred Keller, R-12th District
- U.S. Rep. John Joyce, D-13th District
- U.S. Rep. Guy Reschenthaler, R-14th District
- U.S. Rep. Mike Kelly, R-16th District
- U.S. Rep. Conor Lamb, D-17th District,
- U.S. Rep. Mike Doyle, D-18th District
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.